Contact us now
0207 998 0035


Partner visa

visasIf your partner is a British national or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, you may be eligible for a visa that allows you to live in the UK for up to 2 and a half years. When this visa expires you can apply to stay in the UK for a further 2 and a half years if you still meet the visa requirements. If at the end of 5 years you still meet the requirements, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. ‘Partner’ includes: husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner.

 To meet the visa requirements you must show that:

  • both parties aged 18 of age or over when the application is made
  • your relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’ and you intend to live permanently in the UK with your partner
  • your marriage or civil partnership is recognised by UK law
  • you can support yourselves and any dependents you may have without claiming government benefits
  • You meet the financial requirements and meet and exceed the financial threshold of £18,600 plus and additional £2,400 for each additional dependent child, who is applying as a dependant of the main applicant, unless your sponsor falls in one of the exemption categories, in that he/she is claiming some types of disability related benefits,
  • You can demonstrate the relevant qualifications of English language, as set out on the current Immigration Rules.
  • You have no outstanding NHS charges in excess of £1,000 and that you will pay the compulsory National Health Surcharge.

Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa

 If you wish to come to the UK for the purpose of getting married, you may be able to apply for a fiancé (e) or proposed civil partner visa. This must be done from outside the UK and the visa must be granted before you can travel to the UK to get married or register your civil partnership. If you are legally living in the UK but subject to immigration controls, you must give notice to marry or register your civil partnership with a registrar at a designated office and the Home Office has a duty to investigate the suspected proposed marriages which are also commonly known as sham marriages.


Family of EEA (and Swiss) Nationals

If you are a citizen in a country of the European Economic Area or Switzerland who is currently settled in the UK or planning to travel here with the intention of staying on, and you have family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals, you may be able to apply for them to live with you in the UK. There are a number of different options available to you.

 For the purposes of such applications, family member is considered to be:

  • a husband, wife or civil partner
  • a children or grandchild of you and/or your husband, wife or civil partner who is under 21 years of age or depends on you for financial support
  • a parent or grandparent of you or your husband, wife or civil partner, and depends on you for financial support.

Countries in the EU and EEA

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 28 countries. It operates an internal (or single) market which allows free movement of goods, capital, services and people between member states.

EU countries

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market – this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

If you are not a national of the above countries, you would be classed as Non-EEA national and it may be necessary of you to apply for one on the below permits to confirm your right to live and work in the United Kingdom

request a call back oliver and hasani